Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jeff Hasara, I love you to the moon and back.

I never officially posted this post on my personal blog (I didn't on Two Teens Two Continents) so here it is.

I love you, Jeff.

To be honest, I don't know how to start out this post. Right now it's kind of hard for me to process things, so I'm hoping this article will help me collect my thoughts or something along those lines. So bear with me if this doesn't make sense to you, this article is more for my benefit than anything.

I have a lot of best friends. And one of them happened to be Jeff Hasara. I met Jeff two years ago, and since then he's changed my life completely. For over a year he's been battling bone cancer, and since then he's had several surgeries and had to have one of his arms amputated. Cancer was not good to him, and he went through things as a sixteen year old that most people don't have to go through in their whole life. To say the least, the last year has been quite difficult. However, even though this past year has been hard for Jeff, I know he has changed so many people's lives for the better. Especially mine.

Jeff has probably been the greatest example I've ever been blessed to have in my life. The way he waded through the trials he was given truly was incredible. He was courageous, in every sense of the word, and that is a trait that is hard to come by. I can't even begin to explain how remarkable he was. He was constantly being friendly and kind to others, and there wasn't an ounce of selfishness in him. He was concerned about other's wellbeing way before himself. Not to mention, going through what he went through really showed how strong he was. He was so optimistic, and he knew that no matter what the outcome he was in God's hands and that God would take care of him. He knew that everything happens for a reason and we are given trials so we can overcome them and become a better person because of it. Jeff was really into surfing and long boarding, and when you lose an arm that kind of thing isn't easy. But Jeff still practiced and went at it like nothing had changed. He kept on living life to the fullest because he knew life isn't something you put on hold when you're having hard times, because life is a gift. Everyday is a gift, and we need to take advantage of it no matter what comes our way.

Out of knowing Jeff I've learned some really important life lessons that will most definitely never be forgotten. I've stopped complaining about things that really don't even matter in the eternal perspective because I know that they actually don't matter. Waiting in line, headaches, traffic, not getting that pair of shoes, humid weather, one bad test grade... those things really won't matter in the end, so why would it matter so much now? I've also learned to live life to the fullest, and even though that phrase is said so much I think it is put so eloquently. We never know how much time is left for us and those we love, so letting our problems get in the way isn't going to help live our lives the very best we can. And most of the time the things we think are 'problems' are just experiences. Life is full of experiences, they're not good or bad. It's just the way you look at it.

From praying and fasting this year for Jeff, I've learned that everything happens for a reason. My faith has grown immensely because I know whatever happens, happens. There is a plan for us, but sometimes we won't understand it until the end. I hope one day I can be like Jeff. Because when someone is that remarkable you want to be like them. He'll never leave my mind and heart and that is something I'll be eternally grateful for because when someone changes your life, you don't ever want them to leave.

And he won't leave me because he's right here with me, always a prayer in my heart. I love you, Jeff.

1 comment:

  1. Our Love goes out to you, thank you for all you've done for Jeffrey & our family with this wonderful tributs.

    P.S. Congrats on your pictures, they are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete